- 12oz ground beef and 8oz ground pork, mixed together well in a large mixing bowl
- 2 tsp dry oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 tsp fresh cracked pepper
- 1 tbsp Bella Sun Luci extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium-large yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 large peeled carrot, finely diced
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup good quality white wine
- 20 ounces crushed or diced tomatoes, not drained
- 1/2 cup Bella Sun Luci sun dried tomatoes julienne, diced into smaller pieces
- Parmesan for grating
- Optional: Fresh garden herb sprigs or basil leaves for garnish
- In a very large heavy bottom sauce pan, frying pan or Dutch oven, over a medium-high flame, heat the olive oil.
- Add the onion, stir often with a wood spoon and fry until golden brown.
- Add the carrots, garlic oregano, and salt, then add the meat about an once at a time.
- Cook on one side until brown, about 5 minutes. Break the meat up as small as possible and fry 2 more minutes until cooked through.
- Add the wine, reducing to about 3/4, turn down to medium, add the tomatoes and stir for 3 minutes.
- Turn to low and simmer 50 minutes, stirring often, scraping the sides and bottom of pan. Add the sun dried tomatoes and stir/simmer 10 more minutes.
- Simmer an additional 10-20 minutes if the Bolognese is still loose.
- Serve over steaming hot penne with freshly grated parmesan and sprigs of herbs.