- Saffron-Sun Dried Tomato-Zucchini-Bell Pepper Pancakes
Saffron-Sun Dried Tomato-Zucchini-Bell Pepper Pancakes
- 3 cups cooked Bella Sun Luci Sun Dried Tomato Risotto (follow the recipe on the container but omit the butter)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ½ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup all purpose flour (have another ½ cup ready in case your cakes turn out loose)
- ½ cup Bella Sun Luci Sun Dried Tomatoes with Italian Basil, rough chopped
- ½ cup roasted red bell peppers, drained well and rough chopped
- 1 cup zucchini, seeded (cut the center out) and diced medium
- ½ cup fresh or frozen (thawed) corn
- ½ cup bread crumbs, any kind
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- 1 tsp saffron threads
- ½-1 cup Bella Sun Luci extra virgin olive oil for frying
- *1 tsp of this oil will be for cooking the saffron
- Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a small pan, heat 1 tsp of oil for cooking the saffron on a high flame, add the saffron and turn off. Remove pan from burner and stir for 1 minute, then set aside in a cool place.Stir occasionally as it cools.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the eggs in with the milk and then add the saffron and the oil you cooked it in to the egg-milk mixture.
- In a large bowl combine well all of the ingredients (except the ½-1 C of oil) including the saffron-egg-milk mixture.
- Form into balls about the size of a golf ball, then flatten/TIGHTLY form into patties and arrange on a baking sheet.If the first couple of cakes naturally fall apart, put them back into the original mixture and add the second ¼ C flour to better bind your “batter”, then form your balls/cakes. Smaller cakes are more elegant, bigger cakes are easier.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat.
- Do ONE test cake. If it falls apart, add another ¼ C flour. Then turn to medium.
- Carefully cook the patties and cook until they are golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove the patties from the oil to a baking sheet lined with a brown bag or paper towels to drain the excess oil. Transfer to a serving tray and serve hot.
- You can serve the cakes with any dipping sauce of your choice. Chipotle aioli or chive aioli have consistently been great accompaniment