$500 Second Place Winner
Second Prize Winner: "Grilled Skirt Steak with Mediterranean Relish "
How did you feel when you found out you won the contest?
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I truly am so excited to be chosen as second place, and honored to have been chosen out of so many entries in your prestigious contest! I’ve been entering a recipe into your contest for the past five years, so I was very pleasantly surprised to get your call saying I had finally created a recipe worth the second place prize! It’s a fun contest with a great product so I love trying, but, well, winning is even better!
How did you come up with the idea for the winning recipe?
Living in California where we pretty much grill all year round I'm always looking for ways to jazz up a meal, especially when using less expensive cuts of beef that when sliced thinly can really stretch a dollar, and the play of flavors, a little sweet, a little salty, a little tangy and a little spicy, I felt would take the ho-hum out of a simple meal that's easy enough for a week night and elegant enough for company as well.
How long have you been using Bella Sun Luci products? And what is your favorite?
I started using Bella Sun Luci products in 2012 when I first saw your contest - I entered with a goat cheese flan with your original sun dried tomatoes - and have enjoyed them every since. I think my favorite product is the simple sun dried tomatoes in the resealable pouch.
Where do you shop for Bella Sun Luci products?
I usually can find them right in the produce section of my local grocery store, and as much as I enjoy all the products available, I love the versatility of just popping a few sun dried tomatoes into all kinds of dishes as the mood suits.
Other hobbies, passions, pastimes?
My hobby, time permitting, is entering cooking contests. I have a hobby you can eat! Works for me! I started cooking 58 years ago when I was 10 years old when my mother's health started to fail and she taught me how to cook via telephone from her hospital bed so it's a natural for me, and I've found it to be a creative outlet coming up with different taste combinations. I am still working full time, am co-parenting my eight year old grandson,have a passel of rescue dogs and a house that was built in 1914 that I strive to keep in what I call a state of arrested decay, so it all keeps me pretty busy, but I do love to travel and try to do so when I can, especially when a cook off is involved.
Grilled Skirt Steak with Mediterranean Relish
- 1/2 cup Bella Sun Luci Sun Dried Julienned-Cut tomatoes with Herbs, chopped
- 1/2 cup quality green olives (such as Castelvetranos) pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet cherry peppers, seeds discarded
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 teaspoons olive oil from the sun dried tomatoes
- 4 ounces of crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil from the sun dried tomatoes
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs. skirt steak (or flank steak if desired)
- Mix together the ingredients for the relish, gently mixing in the crumbled Gorgonzola cheese at the end.
- Mix together the seasonings for the meat and brush liberally both sides of the steak.
- Grill the steak on a prepared grill or a grill pan on the stove heated to high for just a few minutes per side.
- Allow the meat to rest before slicing thinly against the grain.
- To serve, generously spoon the relish over the thinly sliced steak, garnish with orange slices and accompany it with wedges of flat bread that have been brushed with olive oil, sprinkled with garlic salt and grilled, if desired.