June Honorable Mention Recipe - Freshest Pasta Salad
Amici, cooks, chefs and foodistas of all ages,
Chef Richie Says, “This is the last Chef Richie Says of last year’s recipe contest!” Get your recipes in at www.bellasunluci.com! The deadline is July 1st. Ready. Set. GO!
This month (and Happy June!...to you and yours!) is the beginning of summer, the solstice, and my favorite time of year…FOR FOOD! Sun dried tomatoes pack a flavorful punch, they add flavor and color to almost any dish, and they have abundant lycopene, an important antioxidant. So use sun dried tomatoes YEAR ROUND!
That’s what home chef Kim Patterson has done with her recipe for Freshest Pasta Salad. Congratulations Chef! We’re sending you a deluxe gift box of our products so you can play with/work on a new recipe for next year’s contest!
This pasta salad had a lot going for it and might’ve made the podium if it had more color and crunch. The dressing was WONDERFUL. So I added a couple of things: multi-colored bell peppers, corn cut off the cob, red onion and kalamata olives, also because I was inspired to make it as Greek as I could. And sun dried tomatoes go great with spinach….and I added extra sun dried tomatoes (I used 2 jars!).
Folks, please showcase our sun dried tomatoes when you write your recipes for the contest! Increase your chances of winning! Make your dish tastier, full of antioxidants and more colorful!
Remember…July 1st deadline to submit!
So, for the last time, until we meet again, get cookin’ and eat…with joy, enthusiasm, flavor and…sun dried tomatoes…which will help you do ALL OF THAT!
- 4 medium zucchini, seeds removed and cut large bite size
- 1 pound of your favorite pasta
- 1 TB Bella Sun Luci Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup Bella Sun Luci Sun Dried Tomatoes in Olive Oil and Italian Herbs, Julienne Cut (Drained of the oil, oil reserved aside)
- 1 15 oz can artichokes in brine (Drained of the brine, brine reserved aside)
- 4 ears fresh corn, kernels cut off the cob
- ½ large red onion, diced (or 1 whole medium red onion)
- 1 cup basil leaves or a little more, chiffonade cut and divided, plus a few florets for final garnish
- 8 feta, crumbled
- For the dressing
- Start with the reserved sun dried tomato oil and artichoke brine
- 2 TB artisan mustard (Pale Ale-Honey in this case, or other)
- 2 TB red wine vinegar (taste for acidity and a little if you like)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced (this is optional)
- 1 TB Worcestershire sauce
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta in salted water at a rolling boil. Stir often.
- Set the timer for 3 minutes LESS than the package says.
- When the timer goes off, add the zucchine and set the timer for 1 minute.
- When the timer goes off, drain the pasta/zucchine, turn onto a sheet pan, coat with the 1 TB olive oil and stir for 1 minute to help it cool. Set aside.
- When cool, toss with the other salad ingredients (reserving ½ of the basil and florets for garnish).
- Make the dressing and toss it with the salad ingredients.
- Garnish with the remaining basil and florets.