Lasagne alla Bolognese with Sun Dried Tomatoes
Ingredients for the Bolognese
- 12oz ground beef and 8oz ground pork, mixed together well in a large mixing bowl
- 2 tsp dry oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 tsp fresh cracked pepper
- 1 tbsp Bella Sun Luci extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium-large yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 large peeled carrot, finely diced
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup good quality white wine
- 20 ounces crushed or diced tomatoes, not drained
- 1/2 cup Bella Sun Luci sun dried tomatoes julienne, diced into smaller pieces
- Parmesan for grating
- Optional: Fresh garden herb sprigs or basil leaves for garnish
Ingredients for the lasagne
- 2 12-oz boxes lasagne sheets
- 2 TB Bella Sun Luci Extra Virgin Olive Oil for coating the pasta
- 2 C ricotta
- 1 C shredded mozzarella
- 1 C grated parmesan
- 1 cube (4 oz) unsalted butter for buttering the pan
- ¼ cup flour for dusting the pan
- 2 C béchamel (optional, as a substitute for the butter and flour…)
- Basil or any fresh herb sprigs for garnish
Directions for the Bolognese
- In a very large heavy bottom sauce pan, frying pan or Dutch oven, over a medium-high flame, heat the olive oil.
- Add the onion, stir often with a wood spoon and fry until golden brown.
- Add the carrots, garlic oregano, and salt, then add the meat about an once at a time.
- Cook on one side until brown, about 5 minutes. Break the meat up as small as possible and fry 2 more minutes until cooked through.
- Add the wine, reducing to about 3/4, turn down to medium, add the tomatoes and stir for 3 minutes.
- Turn to low and simmer 50 minutes, stirring often, scraping the sides and bottom of pan with a wooden spoon. Add the sun dried tomatoes and stir/simmer 10 more minutes. Simmer an additional 10-20 minutes if the Bolognese is still loose.
Directions for the lasagne
- Cook the lasagne noodles as specified on the package. Do not undercook. Drain, turn onto a baking sheet and immediately coat with the olive oil, using tongs and making sure to coat all of the noodles well.
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- When the pasta is cool enough to handle, coat your lasagne pan(s)/casserole dish(es) first with butter then the flour (or, if using béchamel, coat the pan(s) with that instead).
- Place pasta sheets in the first pan(s) to cover the bottom, add a layer of Bolognese and a layer of ricotta, mozzarella and parmesan. If you have béchamel, use it here.
- *Reserve enough parmesan to lightly coat the tops(s) of your lasagne(s).
- Repeat this layering process with even amounts of the noodles, Bolognese and cheeses until you’ve used all of it, with noodles being the top layer.
- Sprinkle with parmesan and bake 45 minutes to 1 hour uncovered, until the top layer is golden brown, then cover with a lid, or foil, and bake an additional 15-30 minutes, until the lasagne(s) is/are fully cooked…piping hot in the middle.
- Let rest 15+ minutes in order for the lasagne to set so you can cut clean-edged pieces, or, Chef Richie says: “Don’t wait! Just have at it!”