Sun Dried Tomato Paella in Cast Iron Skillet
You say "paella" and I say "risotto". We have three varieties of ready-to-go risotto mix. This recipe uses our original sun dried tomato version, which nicely becomes a paella. And I do recommend using saffron, which to me is not optional, wink-wink.
- 12-18 black mussels
- 8-12 large prawns, shell off, tail on, butterflied
- 6-boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2-3 sausages (your preferred taste)
- 1 Cup fresh green beans
- 1/2 Cup Bella Sun Luci Sun Dried Tomato Julienne Cut
- 1 1/2 Cup Bella Sun Luci Sun Dried Tomato Risotto Rice Mix (uncooked)
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 4-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. Bella Sun Luci Arbequina Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 Cup chicken broth, brought to a simmer
- 1 Cup good quality white wine
- 1 stick butter, cut into pieces
- 1 large pinch saffron (optional)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Clean the mussels and prawns and set aside. In the skillet add 1 Tbsp of the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the sausage, prawns, and chicken breast (season and lightly flour to keep from sticking).
- Cook over medium heat for approximately 5 minutes, and then remove the prawns. Continue cooking sausage and chicken for 5-10 more minutes until no longer pink inside.
- Remove chicken and sausage from skillet and add a 1/2 cup of white wine and mussels to the skillet. Cook uncovered over medium heat to reduce wine and cook mussels.
- Pull each mussel out as it opens and set aside with prawns. Reserve all leftover juice in skillet. Slice sausage and chicken into bite sized pieces and add to prawns and mussels mixture.
- In a separate large pan cook onion in 1 Tbsp of olive oil over medium heat.
- After 3 minutes add the garlic and saffron and continue cooking another 3-5 minutes until the onion is tender.
- Add rice to pan, stir, and sauté for approx. 5 minutes until the rice is lightly browned.
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup of white wine, turn heat up to med-high and cook to reduce wine about 2 minutes.
- Turn heat back down to medium and add 1 cup of broth, stirring in and cooking until mostly absorbed; continue adding 1/2 cup broth every 2-3 minutes, or as it absorbs into rice mixture.
- When there is 1 cup of broth left, add all ingredients to pan except the butter along with broth.
- When heated through remove from stove and stir in butter to completely blend and serve.