Pan Seared Salmon with a Sun Dried Tomato Bacon Cream Sauce
This dish makes me think of fettuccine alfredo that fell into a pan of searing salmon and smokey bacon, and then sun dried tomatoes and basil fell out of the sky. Maybe that's what actually happened.
- 1½ pounds salmon fillets (4 filets)
- 3 strips bacon, chopped
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8.5 ounce of Bella San Luci Sun Dried Julienne Tomatoes in Extra Virgin Olive Oil, sliced (Plus 2 Tbsp of the oil)
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup half & half
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- ½ cup vegetable (or chicken) stock
- ½ teaspoon each: Kosher salt & fresh ground pepper
- Fresh basil, chopped (garnish)
- Parmesan Cheese, shredded (garnish)
- 8 ounces pasta, cooked and drained, for serving
- Let the Salmon come to room temperature for 15 minutes. Gather all of the ingredients and bring a large stockpot of salted water to a boil (for the pasta) while you begin to sauté the diced bacon in a large non-stick skillet.
- Remove the rendered, slightly crisped bacon to a paper towel lined dish and set aside. Also (if needed) drain all but 2 Tbsp of the bacon grease.
- When the pot of water is boiling, add in the penne pasta and cook to the package directions.
- Drain and set aside till plating.
- Bring the skillet with the bacon grease to medium heat and sear the salmon fillets for 2-3 minutes on each side. Set aside.
- In that same skillet, add in the onion, garlic, sun dried tomatoes an oil, paprika, Italian seasoning and crushed red pepper. Sauté together for about 2 minutes.
- Add in the vegetable/or chicken stock to deglaze the pan and let simmer for a couple minutes.
- Pour in the half & half along with the ¼ cup parmesan and stir together, salt & pepper to taste.
- Add the seared salmon back into the creamy, fragrant sauce to bring back up to temp.
- Serve this delightful dinner individually plated or family style…Coat the cooked pasta in the creamy sauce, place the salmon and sprinkle the freshly torn basil, parmesan and crisped bacon overtop! Enjoy!!