Mediterranean Skillet Sausage, Tomatoes, and Cannellini
Well, I want to say that this is a "Little Italy meats (meets, wink) California" dish. But in Little Italy, in New York or New Jersy, Philadelphia or Chicago, them's fightin' words. So I'll say this instead: This is a fresh take on an old east coast theme with the sausage and peppers, but the chicken sausage, spinach, Greek oregano flavored sun dried tomatoes and almonds make this a lighter, distinctly Californian dish that's both super flavorful and pretty. There. Whew!
- 1 (12-ounce) package of cooked Italian style chicken sausage links
- 2 tablespoons Bella Sun Luci Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided use
- 1 cup chopped sweet onions
- 1 cup chopped red bell peppers
- ½ cup finely chopped carrots
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, well rinsed and drained
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach leaves, tough stems removed (more for garnish, if desired)
- ½ cup Bella Sun Luci Sun Dried Tomatoes Julienne-Cut with Greek Oregano, Basil and Garlic
- 1½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup slivered toasted almonds (more for garnish, if desired)
- ½ cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- Cut sausage into ¼-inch round slices, removing casings if desired.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add sausage; stirring occasionally, cook until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Remove sausage and set aside.
- Add remaining oil to skillet.
- Add onions, bell peppers, and carrots. Stirring, sauté over low heat for 4 minutes.
- Add chicken broth. Bring to boil; simmer on low, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Add beans, spinach, sun dried tomatoes, lemon juice and salt; stir.
- Cover and simmer 4 minutes or until spinach wilts and mixture is hot.
- Return sausage to skillet; stir and heat well.
- Stir in almonds.
- Plate; top with Parmesan.
- Garnish with spinach and almonds, if desired.
Serves 4.print recipe