Penne with Tuscan Sausage and Sun Dried Tomatoes
This recipe is all the flavors of Little Italy. Besides its new look with it's sausage and sun dried tomatoes instead of peppers. Sun dried tomatoes are richer and have deeper flavor that mend with the basil perfectly. It's great as a pasta and make sure you have fresh bread with which to clean your plate!
Total Cook Time: 30 minutes
Bella Products Used:
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1 pound Tuscan sausage from Chico State Farm, removed from the casing (or your favorite Italian sausage)
- 2 tbsp (1 oz) Bella Sun Luci Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ yellow onion, small dice
- 1 8.5 oz jar Bella Sun Luci Bruschetta
- ½ cup (4 oz, about half jar) Bella Sun Luci Sun Dried Tomatoes Julienne Cut in Extra Virgin Olive Oil, oil drained and reserved
- Salt and pepper to taste
- About 24 basil leaves
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package.
- In the meantime (or you can do the following in advance), sauté the onion in the reserved sun dried tomato oil + 1 tbsp of the extra virgin olive oil, over a high flame, until translucent/brown, then add the garlic, sauté 1 more minute and remove from stove.
- In a separate pan, over a high flame, sauté the sausage in the other 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil until cooked through and lightly browned then add the onion-garlic mixture to the sausage pan, stir in the Bruschetta and sun dried tomatoes julienne cut, about half of the basil leaves and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve in individual plates and garnish with the remaining basil leaves.