Penne with Tuscan Sausage and Sun Dried Tomatoes
This recipe is SO Little Italy. Except it's sausage and sun dried tomatoes instead of peppers. Adding a few peppers wouldn't hurt, but the sun dried tomatoes are richer and have deeper flavor. Either way, it's great as a pasta, great as a Little Italy sub sandwich and make sure you have lots of bread with which to clean your plate 'cause you're gonna wanna...fuggedaboutit oh!!!
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1 pound Tuscan sausage from Chico State Farm, removed from the casing (or your favorite Italian sausage)
- 2 tbsp (1 oz) Bella Sun Luci Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ yellow onion, small dice
- 1 8.5 oz jar Bella Sun Luci Bruschetta
- ½ cup (4 oz, about half jar) Bella Sun Luci Sun Dried Tomatoes Julienne Cut in Extra Virgin Olive Oil, oil drained and reserved
- Salt and pepper to taste
- About 24 basil leaves
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package.
- In the meantime (or you can do the following in advance), sauté the onion in the reserved sun dried tomato oil + 1 tbsp of the extra virgin olive oil, over a high flame, until translucent/brown, then add the garlic, sauté 1 more minute and remove from stove.
- In a separate pan, over a high flame, sauté the sausage in the other 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil until cooked through and lightly browned then add the onion-garlic mixture to the sausage pan, stir in the Bruschetta and sun dried tomatoes julienne cut, about half of the basil leaves and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve in individual plates and garnish with the remaining basil leaves.