Mediterranean Breakfast Casserole
Another blank slate for you, chef. Any meat works. Any cheese works. Any vegetables (seasonal, local, right?) work. Just don't forget the sun dried tomatoes. Oh...this can be cooked in one pan in the oven, OR...on top of the stove. I recommend a skillet with a lid and a very low flame. The steam that gets trapped by the lid will help cook the eggs, making them lighter and fluffier.
- 1- 8.5 ounce jar Bella Sun Luci Sun Dried Tomatoes Julienne, reserve olive oil
- 1 lb ground Italian Sausage
- 1 dozen eggs
- 2 cup fresh Spinach, chopped
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 cup black olives sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp plus 1 tsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees with rack at middle position.
- In large frying pan, sauté onions in 2 tbsp of olive oil medium heat until translucent.
- Add garlic, do not allow garlic to burn, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add Italian sausage and cook until lightly brown, stirring often.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool while completing next step.
- In large bowl, whip eggs.
- Stir in spinach, Feta cheese, and olives.
- Add spices to taste.
- When blended add cooked ingredients and stir thoroughly.
- Butter a 9 x 13 and add all ingredients evenly.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until casserole is set and top is light brown.