Sun Dried Tomato and Feta Lamb Burgers with Fennel-Cucumber Sauce - Winning Recipe 2012!
Two unique ingredients set this burger apart for me, the Bella Sun Luci sun dried tomatoes in the patties of course, and the lemon, which adds such a refreshing twist, pardon the pun, it enlivens...it excites...it wakes up your taste buds! Ever have lemon on a burger? Me neither. Please cook this recipe. It's also a good way how to see what makes the podium in our recipe contest. Then, please enter your own unique and sun dried tomatolicious recipe!
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 1 small fennel bulb, chopped
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp minced fresh garlic
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup drained Bella Sun Luci Sun Dried Tomatoes in Olive Oil & Herbs, chopped
- 2 tsp oil from jar of sun dried tomatoes
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons regular oats
- 2 tbsp minced red onion
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp finely ground black pepper
- 2 pounds ground lamb
- 8 ounces feta cheese, finely crumbled
- Olive oil, for brushing grill rack
- 6 small whole wheat buns
- 3 cups shredded iceburg lettuce
- 6 thin slices ripe tomato
- Combine Sauce ingredients in a medium bowl and stir until well mixed. Taste and adjust seasonings, cover and refrigerate.
Lamb Burger Instructions
- Preheat a gas grill to medium high, or prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover.
- Combine sun dried tomatoes, oil from tomatoes, oats, onion, cumin, garlic, salt and pepper in a food processor; process to a smooth paste.
- Combine paste with lamb and feta in a large bowl.
- Stir until well mixed, taking care not to overwork.
- Gently form into 6 equal sized patties.
- Brush grill rack with oil. Grill patties with cover down about 4 minutes on each side or until done to preference.
- To assemble, place one pita bottom, cut size up, on each of 6 plates; top each with ½ cup of lettuce.
- 1 patty and 1 tomato slice. Spoon desired amount of sauce over each; add pita tops to form burgers.
- Serve immediately.