Sun Dried Tomato Hot Wings with Gorgonzola Ranch
Chef Hardy introduced us to one more way to enjoy our sweet California sun dried tomatoes by combining an unlikely pair. Spicy hot sauce was mellowed by creamy cheese and boldly flavored by sun dried tomatoes in his Bella Sun Luci Hot Wings paired with Gorgonzola Ranch. Tender chicken with a flavorful sauce that takes minimal time to create besides a few turns and a toss you are on your way to a memorable appetizer or tasty entrée. Our test kitchen opted to use blue cheese crumbles giving the sauce a creamy flavor to calm the bite of heat at the end. Bake or grill these wings to yield crispy skin without the mess and labor of frying. Accompany your wings and homemade sauce with fresh cut veggies, and be sure to have a napkin or two around.
Total Cook Time: 45 minutes
Bella Product Used:
- ¾ c 8.5 oz Bella Sun Luci Julienne Cut Sun Dried Tomatoes with Italian Herbs
- 16 chicken drummettes, about 2.5 lbs
- ½ tsp table salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ⅔ c quality prepared ranch dressing, divided.
- ½ c hot sauce common Louisiana type
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ c crumbled gorgonzola cheese, we substituted for blue cheese
- ¼ c sliced scallions
- Drain the ¾ cup of the sun dried tomatoes, and reserve 1 tablespoon of the oil.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place wings with space between on a large parchment lined baking pan with 1-inch sides. Sprinkle wings with salt and pepper and allow to come to room temperature for about 20 minutes while oven preheats. Bake wings on middle rack for 25-30 minutes, or until cooked through and lightly browned on edges, turning after 15 minutes, remove from oven.
- Meanwhile, place drained the sun dried tomatoes in a large mixing bowl and finely chop with a stick blender (alternately, finely chop by hand). Add ⅓ cup of the ranch dressing, the hot sauce, Worcestershire, and Gorgonzola, whisk thoroughly. Set aside.
- Place a ½ cup of the sauce into a small mixing bowl, whisk last ⅓ cup of ranch into mixture, set aside.
- Grill or Bake: Preheat Barbeque grill to medium hot temperature, or raise oven temperature to 425 degrees. Brush wings with the reserved tablespoon of oil from the sun dried tomatoes and grill or bake an additional 15 or 20 minutes turning at least once, or until crisp and brown, or desired doneness.
- Remove wings to bowl of sauce, toss, and serve with side of dressing and a sprinkle of scallions.