Polenta Quattro Formaggi with Sun Dried Tomato-Basil Puree
Ingredients for the polenta
*Note: there are many ways to make polenta…but really only one way in terms of Northern Italian grandmas: with water and salt. What accompanies the polenta (like this sun dried tomato purée), is what gives the polenta its character.
- 1 cup coarse polenta (course corn meal…we recommend Golden Pheasant or Bob’s Red Mill brands. If using instant polenta, follow the directions on the package).
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
Ingredients for the sauce
- 1 8.5 oz jar Bella Sun Luci sun dried tomatoes julienne cut with extra virgin olive oil
- 8 basil leaves
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
- Salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
Directions for the polenta
- *Please be careful. Making polenta can be dangerous. It gets very hot!
- On a high flame in a heavy bottom pot, salt the water and bring it to a boil.
- Slowly whisk in the polenta, turn the flame to medium and continue whisking constantly for 1 full minute.
- Turn the flame to medium-low and continue whisking 1 more minute.
- Turn the flame to low and whisk 1 more minute.
- Turn the flame to very low and whisk until the polenta is amalgamated and just barely bubbling.
- Let cook 45 minutes (you can whisk every once in a while to get the film that forms on top back into the polenta).
Directions for the sauce
- Place all of the ingredients, including the oil in the jar with the sun dried tomatoes, into a food processor and puree to fine.
- Ingredients for assembly and presentation
- ¼ cup Bella Sun Luci Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2-3 ounces (or more) each of grated parmesan, ricotta, white cheddar and gorgonzola (or any 4 of your favorite cheeses)
- Whole basil leaves for garnish
Directions for assembly and presentation
- Line each glass (or ramekin) with a thin layer of the olive oil.
- Fill glass ramekins ¾-4/5 full of the polenta.
- Top with a thick layer of the purée.
- When the polenta is room temperature or just warm, turn each ramekin upside down.
- Top with/scatter the cheeses and basil leaves.