- Tuscan Braised Lamb Shank with Sun Dried Tomato Bruschetta
Tuscan Braised Lamb Shank with Sun Dried Tomato Bruschetta
- 4 equal size lamb shanks
- ¼-1/2 cup flour
- 1 – 1 ½ oz Bella Sun Luci Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 medium-large yellow onion, peeled and sliced into half moons
- 2 large ribs celery, cleaned and small diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled (if not organic) and small diced
- 4 garlic cloves, large diced
- 2 TB (1 oz) tomato paste
- 1 8.5 oz Jar Bella Sun Luci Bruschetta
- 1 bottle (26 oz) dry white (or dry red) wine
- 1 ½ qt chicken stock (+ 1-2 cups, reserved in case the sauce becomes dry later)
- 12 sprigs rosemary (4 for cooking and 4 for garnishing), leaves from the 4 for cooking removing and rough chopped
- Arrange your oven racks to accommodate your 1 very large or 2 large Dutch ovens. Preheat the oven to 450.
- In a very large Dutch oven (large enough to hold everything, so 12 quart size…or 2 each 8 quart size), heat the wine and stock to boiling then turn to a simmer, add the tomato paste to dissolve it, stirring, then add the onion, garlic, carrot and celery.
- Flour and season the shanks. Knock off any excess flour by dropping the floured shanks onto a cutting board and discard the excess.
- In a large, heavy duty frying/sauté pan, heat the oil to very hot/just smoking and (carefully, so as not to splatter) brown the shanks.
- When the outside of each shank is browned/caramelized, put them into the Dutch oven(s) with the liquid and veggies and return to a boil.
- Place the Dutch oven(s) into the oven UNCOVERED and set a timer for 1 ½ hours.
- After 1 ½ hours, turn the shanks over and stir the veggies/liquid, scraping bottom with a wood spoon.
- Set the timer for another 1 ½ hours and return everything to the oven.
- After the 3 total hours add the rosemary and any additional stock if the sauce is dry), stir and serve.