Deluxe Family Gift Pack
Third Prize Winner: "Sun Dried Tomato Smoky Chipotle Shrimp and Cotija Grits"
1. How did you feel when you found out you won the contest?
First I was in shock ... then elated to receive the great news from Mary that I took 3rd place.
2. How did you come up with the idea for the winning recipe?
I wanted to create, during this pandemic, a comfort food that my family could share. I've been experimenting with Bella Sun Luci Sun Dried Tomato Chipotle Topper Sauce and I thought it would be perfect for Shrimp & Grits..- and it was.
3. How long have you been using Bella Sun Luci products? And what is your favorite?
I've been using Bella Sun Luci products for many years because of their adaptability. My favorite use to be Julienne Cut Sun Dried Tomatoes in Olive Oil with Italian Herbs but now that I discovered Sun Dried Tomato Chipotle Topper Sauce - it's become my favorite because of the ease of use and great taste.
4. Where do you shop for Bella Sun Luci products?
5. Other hobbies, passions, pastimes?
I enjoy traveling, playing bridge, gardening and occasionally entering cooking contests. My passion is my 5 children, grandchildren, daughters-in-law and son-in-law.
6. Any other comments you would like to add that relate to your passion for cooking?
I want to thank Mooney's Bella Sun Luci for the opportunity to enter this contest and use their wonderful products.
Sun Dried Tomato Smoky Chipotle Shrimp and Cotija Grits
"I wanted to create, during this pandemic, a comfort food that my family could share. I've been experimenting with Bella Sun Luci Sun Dried Tomato Chipotle Topper Sauce and I thought it would be perfect for Shrimp & Grits..- and it was."
- Gloria Bradley, Third Place Winning Recipe in the 2020 Bella Sun Luci Annual Recipe Contest
- 4 strips thick-cut bacon, cut crosswise into ¼-inch strips
- ¼ cup Bella Sun Luci Sun Dried Tomato Chipotle Topper Sauce, plus extra for drizzling
- ⅓ cup chopped cilantro leaves
- ⅓ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- ¾ tsp each: Spanish smoked paprika, ancho chili pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil from the sun dried tomatoes
- 30 large (21 to 24 count) shrimp, shelled, deveined, tails removed (if frozen, thawed)
- ½ cup frozen roasted corn
- ½ cup Bella Sun Luci Julienne Cut Sun Dried Tomatoes in Olive Oil with Italian Herbs, roughly chopped, drained
- ¼ to ⅓ cup water
- 4 cups water
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup uncooked quick cooking (not instant) grits
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup crumbled Cotija cheese
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 scallions, green and pale green parts, thinly sliced
- cook the bacon in a large, deep skillet, over medium heat until golden brown and crisp and the fat has rendered, about 7 minutes.
- Transfer bacon with a slotted spoon to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Spoon off all but 3 tablespoons fat from skillet. In a food processor, add Sun Dried Tomato Chipotle Topper Sauce, cilantro, parsley, lime juice, paprika, chili pepper and 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Pulse until a chunky paste forms.
- Add shrimp; toss to fully coat shrimp.
- In same skillet add shrimp with the Chipotle mixture.
- Cook shrimp on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add corn and Bella Sun Luci Sun Dried Tomatoes; stir. Add water (if needed) to thin mixture to desired consistency.
- Cook for 5 minutes to meld flavors.
- Remove from heat; cover and keep warm.
- bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add salt and grits; whisking to prevent lumps.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Cook, stirring often, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add the cream, Cotija cheese and butter.
- Keep whisking for another 2 minutes until the grits become creamy.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide grits among 6 large, shallow bowls and top with shrimp mixture.
- Drizzle the shrimp with some of the Sun Dried Tomato Chipotle Topper Sauce and sprinkle with bacon and green onions.
Serves 6print recipe