Sun Dried Tomato Smoky Chipotle Shrimp and Cotija Grits
"I wanted to create, during this pandemic, a comfort food that my family could share. I've been experimenting with Bella Sun Luci Sun Dried Tomato Chipotle Topper Sauce and I thought it would be perfect for Shrimp & Grits..- and it was."
- Gloria Bradley, Third Place Winning Recipe in the 2020 Bella Sun Luci Annual Recipe Contest
Bella Products Used:
- 4 strips thick-cut bacon, cut crosswise into ¼-inch strips
- ¼ cup Bella Sun Luci Sun Dried Tomato Chipotle Topper Sauce, plus extra for drizzling
- ⅓ cup chopped cilantro leaves
- ⅓ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- ¾ tsp each: Spanish smoked paprika, ancho chili pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil from the sun dried tomatoes
- 30 large (21 to 24 count) shrimp, shelled, deveined, tails removed (if frozen, thawed)
- ½ cup frozen roasted corn
- ½ cup Bella Sun Luci Julienne Cut Sun Dried Tomatoes in Olive Oil with Italian Herbs, roughly chopped, drained
- ¼ to ⅓ cup water
- 4 cups water
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup uncooked quick cooking (not instant) grits
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup crumbled Cotija cheese
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 scallions, green and pale green parts, thinly sliced
- Cook the bacon in a large, deep skillet, over medium heat until golden brown and crisp and the fat has rendered, about 7 minutes.
- Transfer bacon with a slotted spoon to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Spoon off all but 3 tablespoons fat from skillet. In a food processor, add Sun Dried Tomato Chipotle Topper Sauce, cilantro, parsley, lime juice, paprika, chili pepper and 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Pulse until a chunky paste forms.
- Add shrimp; toss to fully coat shrimp.
- In same skillet add shrimp with the Chipotle mixture.
- Cook shrimp on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add corn and Bella Sun Luci Sun Dried Tomatoes; stir. Add water (if needed) to thin mixture to desired consistency.
- Cook for 5 minutes to meld flavors.
- Remove from heat; cover and keep warm.
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add salt and grits; whisking to prevent lumps.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Cook, stirring often, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add the cream, Cotija cheese and butter.
- Keep whisking for another 2 minutes until the grits become creamy.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide grits among 6 large, shallow bowls and top with shrimp mixture.
- Drizzle the shrimp with some of the Sun Dried Tomato Chipotle Topper Sauce and sprinkle with bacon and green onions.