Sun Dried Tomato Shrimp and Asparagus Pasta
The essence of Italian "cucina" is handmade egg pasta, or, more accurately, noodles. To our chef, noodles have eggs and pasta doesn't, but any way you say it, this is the heart of Italian cooking.
Pasta should be thin enough so that when you hold up the sheet, you'll be able to see your hand's shadow behind it. When you've mastered the pasta part, you'll want to make this dish. It is simply DELIZIOSO!
Ingredients for the noodles (or use about 12 oz store bought pappardelle)
- 1 cup all purpose flour (It's ok to use ½ cup all purpose flour and ½ cup semolina)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp Bella Sun Luci Extra Virgin Olive Oil
*Optional: a large pinch of fine sea salt.
Ingredients for the shrimp and sauce
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp Bella Sun Luci Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 pound asparagus, tips cut long, stems cut short
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp
- 1 8.5 oz jar Bella Sun Luci Sun Dried Tomatoes Julienne Cut
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Optional garnish: basil chiffonade or any of your favorite fresh herbs
- Make the dough, kneading by hand 10 minutes, or place in a mixer with a dough hook for 5 minutes on low-medium speed, then knead for 2 minutes.
- Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate a half hour.
- Bring 3-4 quarts salted water to a boil.
- Roll out the dough, run it through the machine so it becomes very thin then roll and cut your noodles.
- In a very large saute pan (or dutch oven), heat the oil, add the garlic then asparagus then shrimp (cook each 1-2 minutes, until just cooked).
- Add the pasta to the boiling water.
- Add the sun dried tomatoes, salt and pepper to the shrimp mixture.
- When the noodles are cooked (1 to 2 minutes), drain them, add them to the sauce, toss carefully (or stir) and serve.