Seared Sea Scallops with Sun Dried Tomato-Bell Pepper Relish
This super simple and super delicious recipe might just become a centerpiece of your culinary repertoire. The foundation, this relish and the greens, is a fine blank slate to add any ingredients to, to make a new dish whenever the fancy hits you. Prawns...yes. Chicken, fish, steak, pork...grilled vegetables...there are a million possibilities for this recipe. Starting with seared scallops is a fine idea.
Total Cook Time: 30 minutes
Bella Products Used:
For the scallops:
- 12 jumbo (U-16, meaning under 16 per pound, or 16-20 count) sea scallops, side muscle removed
- 1 tbsp Bella Sun Luci extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste
For the Relish:
- ½ jar (about 4 oz) Bella Sun Luci Sun Dried Tomatoes julienne cut with extra virgin olive oil (use half the jar of tomatoes and half of the oil in the jar)
- ½ cup roasted red bell peppers
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Sea salt to taste
- For garnish/presentation:
- ½ bunch of your favorite greens (swiss chard or kale are preferred as you will be saucing the greens with the leftover scallop-olive oil-butter mixture)
- Make the relish in advance by simply combining all ingredients. Wash, dry and tear/cut into bite size pieces the greens. Present the greens and relish as pictured.
- Pat dry and season the scallops with the salt and pepper in advance.
- In a sauté pan heat the oil to very hot on a high flame.
- Carefully put the scallops into the pan (using tongs). Add the butter immediately.
- Sear on the first (“presentation”) side until each scallop is golden brown.
- Turn over until just cooked.
- Present the scallops on the greens and relish and pour the olive oil-butter mixture that remains over the greens.