Sun Dried Tomato Olive Oil Cake with Whipped Ricotta and Tomato Jam
This perfect springtime cake brings about sweet smells of fresh lemon and fennel to the kitchen. This very Italian cake flavor transports the mind to the sunny open landscapes of Tuscany. In each dense bite you will enjoy creamy ricotta with a touch of sun dried tomato jam. Using ripe lemon from the orchard and fresh rosemary from the estate garden to plate, it will excite your guests by its amazing presentation and luscious flavor.
Total Cook Time: 45 minutes
Bella Product Used:
2 cups sugar
1¼ cups milk
¼ cup brandy
1½ cups olive oil
¼ cup sun-dried tomato syrup (see recipe below)
1 lemon (zest only)
1 tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
2½ cups flour
1 tsp dried anise seed
Sun Dried Tomato Syrup:
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
½ cup sun-dried tomatoes, diced
2 cups ricotta cheese
¼ cup heavy cream
¼ cup honey
1 tbsp sugar
2 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1 cup sun dried tomatoes, diced
¾ cup sugar
1 lemon (juice only)
- Place sun dried tomato syrup ingredients in a small sauce pot. Bring to a boil for one minute. Turn off heat and let completely cool. Strain off and press sun dried tomatoes and discard.
- For the batter, beat eggs on high with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Slowly add sugar, then oil, syrup, brandy, zest and milk in that order. Mix well until blended.
- Last add the sifted dry ingredients until smooth.
- Pour batter into a sprayed 9 inch spring form cake pan. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour or until golden brown and set.
- While cake is in the oven, place all tomato jam ingredients in small sauce pan and simmer down on low heat until it starts to thicken. Take off heat and cool.
- Whip all ricotta ingredients in an electric mixer until combined, light and fluffy. Serve aside or under slice of cake.
- When cake is finshed, place on a cooling rack. When cool, unmold, and brush with remaining sun dried syrup.
- Serve whipped riocotta under, or besides a slide of cake, along with a spoonful of tomato jam.
Serve into 12 pieces.