Lemon Rosemary Olive Oil Cake
Grandma's Italian style cake has elegance, and balance. Sweet and savory at the same time. If the lemons are from your tree, and the rosemary from your garden, it's even more Italian. In fact, I think that if you bake this cake, you can apply for honorary Italian citizenry. Our Italian great great grandma would be proud of you for baking this cake.
It is said the best lemons come form Sorrento where the sun kisses the lemon groves bringing out the juiciest lemons with the best aroma. The rolling hills of tress are pleasing to the eyes. From many years ago, excavations of Pompeii, lemons – which do resemble today’s Sorrento lemons - are depicted in mosaic artwork of the period. In the 1600s, the Jesuit Fathers cultivated the first lemon groves on the Sorrento peninsula and they have been thriving ever since. They are a part of life in this beautiful part of Italy.
Bella Product Used:
- Cooking Spray
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1.5 tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1.5 cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup fat-free milk
- ½ tsp grated lemon rind
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp lemon extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- Optional: Fresh rosemary sprig
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. (If using glass reduce temperature by 25 degrees)
- Coat a 10-inch tube pan with cooking spray; dust with 2 tablespoons flour.
- Weigh or lightly spoon 13.5 ounces flour (about 3 cups) into dry measuring cups; level with a knife.
- Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl.
- Place granulated sugar and next 7 ingredients (through eggs) in a medium bowl; beat with mixer at low speed 2 minutes or until smooth.
- Add to flour mixture; beat until blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 15 minutes on a wire rack, and remove from pan.
- Cool completely on a wire rack, and remove from pan.
- Combine powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon lemon juice, stirring until smooth.
- Drizzle sugar mixture over cake.
- Garnish with rosemary sprig, if desired.