Grilled Skirt Steak with Bella Sun Luci Sun Dried Tomato Maque Choux & Spoon Bread
The South meets the Mediterranean in this dish from Chef Stratton. The maque choux showcases bright flavors of peppers, sweet sun dried tomatoes, fresh corn, and lemon juice. A classic cajun dish that is regularly served atop other southern courses like skirt steak. This dish isn’t complete without the southern staple of the souffle-like corn bread. Rich, sweet, and robust from the sun dried tomato broth makes this dish even more of a delicacy.
Total Cook Time: 45 minutes
Bella Product Used:
- ½ c Bella Sun Luci Sun Dried Tomato Halves, chopped
- ¼ c yellow onion, diced
- ¼ c celery, diced
- ¼ c green bell pepper, diced
- ¼ c red bell pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cobs sweet corn, kernels removed
- 3 green onions, sliced thinly
- 2 sprigs thyme, leaves removed
- ½ c bacon lardon or diced
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp fresh black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 2lb skirt steak, cleaned
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 c stone ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 quart chicken stock, flavored with sun dried tomato
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 large eggs
- Bring the chicken stock to a simmer in a 2 quart sauce pot. Add the chopped sun dried tomatoes and remove from heat. Let steep for 30 minutes and then remove the tomatoes keeping on the side for later. Leave behind the chicken stock for use in the Spoon Bread.
- Preheat a large sauté pan for 3-5 minutes. Place the bacon lardons in with a tablespoon of water and slowly render out and then crisp up as the water evaporates.
- Once the bacon is brown and crispy, remove the pieces and set aside. Add the onion, celery, bell pepper, garlic and thyme to sweat for 1-2 minutes. A little color is fine but don’t overcook the vegetables.
- Next, add the bacon, sun dried tomatoes, and the corn; continue cooking for 1 minute. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Turn the heat down to low and add the butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring to coat the vegetables. Season with lemon juice and sliced green onion. Taste for salt and pepper.
- Season steak with salt and pepper. Cook on a hot grill or sauté pan for about 3- 4 minutes on each side.
- Preheat oven to 350*F
- Bring the chicken stock back to a simmer and add the salt. Pour the cornmeal into the simmering stock, whisking to prevent clumping.
- When thickened (about 5 minutes), pour contents into a mixing bowl. Starting with the eggs, add the rest of the ingredients, one at a time, blending until homogenous.
- Butter a 2 ½ Quart baking dish and pour the contents into the prepared dish. Bake, uncovered for 45 minutes at 350*F.