June brings about bountiful garden vegetables, and perfect weather for grilling with family on the patio. In Italy we celebrate Republic Day at the beginning of June. Prior Italy’s independence the Greeks named the region “Italia” when it was originally under roman rule. Gather thing family to celebrate this memorable day is a tradition in our family.
The history of Italy runs deep as well does its cuisine. This Mediterranean Burger has a meld of flavors including rich notes of creamy brie, and caramelized onions topped on a sun dried tomato stuffed burger. This majority of this burger can be found fresh at your local market or garden! The most beautiful part about this recipe is its specialty sun dried tomato aioli with a subtleness of garlic that adds to the robust tomato.
Serving this burger for your next back yard celebration allows each guest to prepare their meal in their own special way adding colorful lettuce from the garden, ripe heirloom tomatoes, or thick cut peppered bacon!
Total Cook Time: 30 minutes
Bella Products Used:
- 4 hamburger buns
- 4 tablespoons Bella Sun Luci California Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 pound ground beef at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons Bella Sun Luci Premium Sun Dried Tomato Halves with Italian Herbs, minced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 garlic cloves, paste
- ½ small white onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
Sun Dried Aioli
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons Bella Sun Luci Premium Sun Dried Tomato Halves with Italian Herbs, minced
- 1 garlic clove, paste
- 4 provolone cheese slices
- 2 cups mixed greens for topping the burger
- ½ small white onion, thinly sliced
Optional: Chef Richie substitued provolone for Brie, and added bacon and carmalized onions for extra Mediterranean flavor.
- Drizzle the burger buns with the Bella Sun Luci California Extra Virgin Olive Oil. In a toaster oven, grill or on a skillet brown the buns and set aside.
- In a large bowl, gently mix all the ingredients for the patties till combined.
- Form 4 equal sized burger patties ¼ inch wider than the burger bun.
- For the aioli, in a small bowl mix all the ingredients. Set aside.
- Lightly oil skillet or grill and set on a medium heat. When heated, cook the patties one each side for about 4-6 mins for a medium or till desired temperature. Place slice of cheese on top of each warm burger patty to melt.
- To build, on the bottom bun spread 1 teaspoon sun dried aioli, top with burger patty, slices of white onion, ½ cup mixed greens and 1 tablespoon aioli on top.
- Mediterranean burger is ready to eat!