Cheesy Sun Dried Tomato Soda Bread
This soda bread can be made for St.Patrick’s Day or anytime you need a savory, dense bread at the table. The rustic round loaf is studded with fresh mushrooms and our tender sun dried tomatoes. Each bite down to the crumb provides rich flavor made from a combination of gruyere cheese and buttermilk. The test kitchen team enjoyed it warm, fresh from the oven with a smear of butter on top.
Total Cook Time: 45 minutes
Bella Product Used:
- 4 c all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 4 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch dice
- 1 ¾ c cold buttermilk, shaken
- 1 large egg
- ½ c shredded cheese, gruyere
- ½ c Bella Sun Luci Sun Dried Tomatoes Halves, cut into ½-inch dice
- ½ c mushrooms, oyster, cooked cut into ½-inch dice
- Chop the mushrooms and cook in a dry pan over medium high heat until brown and they have released their moisture.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add the butter and mix on low speed until the butter is mixed into the flour.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the buttermilk and eggs to the flour mixture. Add in the Bella Sun Luci Sun Dried Tomatoes, mushrooms and cheese and mix gently to combine.
- Dump the dough onto a well-floured board and knead it a few times into a round loaf. Place the loaf on the prepared sheet pan and lightly cut an X into the top of the bread with a serrated knife.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean. When you tap the loaf, it will have a hollow sound. Cool on a backing rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.