This award winning recipe is simple, easy, unique and has a huge abundance of flavor. It's unusual to cook brisket this way, but the sweetness and richness of both the meat and Bella Sun Luci sun dried tomatoes make them a natural combination.
Put it in the oven, go watch a movie and after you'll have a luscious comfort food that you'll want to eat until it's all gone. Buon appetito!
Total Cook Time: 45 minutes
Bella Products Used:
- 1 5-6 lb. first cut brisket
- 2 tsp unbleached flour
- Coarse ground pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup Bella Sun Luci extra virgin olive oil
- 6 large or 8-10 medium onions, sliced in ¼ inch rings
- 2 red peppers, seeded, sliced in ¼ inch rings
- 3 carrots peeled and cut in ½ inch pieces
- 1-8.5 ounce jar Bella Sun Luci Halves, drained, and cut into quarters
- 1-15 ounce can of plum tomatoes
- 1-2 cups beef broth
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Trim the fat from the brisket and dust with flour, then sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Heat the oil on the stove top in the heavy casserole in which you will be cooking the brisket. Add the brisket and cook on a medium heat until lightly brown. Turn and cook on the other side.
- Take the brisket out of the casserole and set aside. Add the sliced onions cooking over medium heat, scraping the meat particles into the onions. Cook for 8-12 minutes until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the red bell peppers and cook for a little while longer until soft but not totally limp. The onions should be almost brown.
- Turn off the heat and place the brisket (with the more fatty side up) on top of the onions and peppers.
- Spread the top of the brisket with tomato paste.
- Place the carrots and sun dried tomatoes all around the brisket
- Open the can of plum tomatoes and chop the tomatoes to break them up and add them around the brisket. (Leave juice in the can.)
- Add the beef broth to the liquid from canned tomatoes. This should be at least 2 cups of liquid. Pour all around the brisket. Be sure anything dry is now wet. If you need more liquid add more water or broth.
- Cover with heavy-duty foil so it is all sealed.
- Bake at 350º for 3 ½ hours. Do not open at all during baking; keep the casserole sealed. (After cooking you will have a lot of liquid and moist meat)
- Slice against the grain and neatly put back in casserole dish, putting the meat into remaining liquid if possible. Garnish with pepper and onion pieces left in pan.