Sun Dried Tomato, Honey, Herb Chicken with Kale and White Beans
Here's a fresh, southern take on orange chicken. In fact, you may want to think about making the accompanying ingredients as a side dish for fried chicken, instead of braising the thighs as the recipe calls for. Sweet and savory flavor, with rich Cannellini beans and kale add down south character. It's clear that sun dried tomatoes and oranges are a sweet and savory delicious paring!
Here's a fresh southern take on orange chicken. Sweet and savory flavor, with rich Cannellini beans and kale add true southern character. The dishes ingredients are added in the upmost order allowing for the slow simmering of flavors to infuse the chicken thighs. I recommend using the bone in skin on thighs to insure the most flavor and perfect tenderness is achieved. It's clear that sun dried tomatoes and oranges are sweet and savory delicious paring! You may want to think about making the accompanying ingredients as a side dish for fried chicken, instead of braising the thighs as the recipe calls for.
Bella Products Used:
- 1 (8.5 ounce) jar Bella Sun Luci Sun Dried Julienne cut tomatoes in olive oil with Italian herbs
- ⅓ cup fresh basil –coarsely chopped + (chopped basil for garnish optional)
- ⅓ cup honey
- ¾ cup white dry wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 orange peeled, seeded and chopped into small segments
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange zest
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons Bella Sun Luci Extra Virgin Olive
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 (14 to 15 ounce) can of Cannellini beans
- 3 cups Tuscan kale –stems removed and coarsely chopped
- 4 large bone in skin on chicken thighs
- Water if needed
- Combine tomatoes, honey, basil, white wine, tomato paste, orange juice, orange segments and orange zest, salt and pepper in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a 3½ – 4 quart Dutch oven or deep skillet on medium high heat until hot.
- Add garlic and chicken to skillet. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, turning once until chicken is browned.
- Add tomato mixture to chicken. Reduce heat to medium. Cook covered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally or until chicken is no longer pink. Remove cover, add beans and kale. Add water, additional wine or orange juice if needed to thin sauce, if desired, according to taste. Cook until kale is wilted and beans are heated.
Serve warm. Garnish with basil if desired.