Dreamy Sun Dried Tomato Hand Pies with Chicken, Cabernet Mushrooms, Mozzarella and Zucchini
Truly these are dreamy Sun Dried Tomato Hand Pies. Do you need individual servings? Do you need a dreamy recipe? Then these hand pies are for you. Flaky puff pastry pockets filled with a delightful combination of Mediterranean flavors will both impress and satisfy your guests. Hot and steamy, light and crispy, these delicious hand pies, also known as panzarotti or empanadas, are fun to make and eat!
- ¾ cup freshly grated zucchini
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp of the oil from jar of Bella Sun Luci Sun Dried Julienne Cut Tomatoes with Olive Oil and Italian Herbs
- 2 tbsp butter, divided use
- Four (4 oz each) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced in half lengthwise to thin out (for a total of 8 thinner chicken breasts)
- 2 tbsp full-bodied red wine, such as Cabernet Sauvignon, although we used Pinot Grigio
- 4 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 8 tbsp garlic and herbs soft spreadable cheese
- 8 tsp Bella Sun Luci Sun Dried Tomato Pesto with Whole Pine Nuts
- 8 slices thinly sliced deli-style mozzarella cheese
- One package (2 sheets) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 8 tbsp Bella Sun Luci Sun Dried Julienne Cut Tomatoes with Olive Oil and Italian Herbs, oil drained back into jar
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tbsp water, to be used as egg wash
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Combine grated zucchini with salt in small bowl.
- Transfer salted zucchini to colander placed on top of paper towels to catch excess water. After 5 minutes, press down on grated zucchini with additional paper towels to absorb remaining excess water. Set aside.
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat; add oil from jar of sun dried tomatoes and melt 1 tablespoon butter. Arrange chicken breasts in single layer in skillet. Cook 2-3 minutes before turning chicken. Cook additional 2-3 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Remove skillet from heat. Allow chicken to cool before slicing each breast into ½-inch thick strips.
- Meanwhile, melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Stir in wine, followed by mushrooms; stir occasionally for 5 minutes, or until mushrooms absorb wine. Remove skillet from heat.
- On a lightly floured surface, use rolling pin to roll out each pastry sheet to a 12-inch square. Next, cut each sheet into 4 equal-sized squares, for a total of 8 squares. Top each square (on one half of each square but stopping ¼-to-½-inch from pastry dough edge) with 1 tablespoon garlic and herbs soft spreadable cheese, spreading out with back of spoon. Next, spread 1 teaspoon sun dried tomato pesto with whole pine nuts over cheese. Cover with 1 slice mozzarella cheese. Top each cheese slice with thin layer of grated zucchini (1½ tablespoons on each), sliced chicken strips, a sprinkling of mushrooms, and 1 tablespoon sun dried julienne cut tomatoes.
- Brush some of the egg wash along the edges of each square. Fold each square in half to form rectangles. Use prongs of fork to seal edges. Carefully lift and place on parchment-lined baking sheet (can be close together but allow at least ¼-inch of space in between each one). Gently tuck sealed edges just underneath each hand pie. Brush tops with remaining egg wash. Bake on middle oven rack for about 18-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Yield: 8 hand pies (serves 8 as a light meal or 4 hungry humans).