Grand Prize Winner of $2,500
First Prize Winner: "Chicken with Sun Dried Tomatoes, Artichokes, Mushrooms and More"
1. How did you feel when you found out you won the contest?
I was so excited and honored when I received the call from Chef Hirshen, saying that I won the first place prize for my chicken dish, especially when he said that the other chefs really liked it.
2. How did you come up with the idea for the winning recipe?
With my Italian back round, I love trying to create new recipes with Mediterranean flavors, and Bella Sun Luci products are perfect.
3. How long have you been using Bella Sun Luci products? And what is your favorite?
The Bella Sun Luci sundried tomatoes are delicious and I use them a lot for pasta, fish and chicken dishes. I recently tried the tomato/pesto sauce which gave an extra layer of flavor to my chicken dish.
4. Where do you shop for Bella Sun Luci products?
I buy my Bell Sun Luci products from my local Lunadri’s market.
5. Other hobbies, passions, pastimes?
My husband and I love to travel. We have two trips planned, one to the Arctic Circle, and the other to the Caribbean. I am planning a trip to Tuscany next spring. My passion is to pursue adventures, and to try new things.
6. Any other comments you would like to add that relate to your passion for cooking?
My grandson, Hunter, and I recently made homemade pasta. We used the fettuccine and orecchiette in two different recipes for dinner. It was a great experience for us both.
Family and good meals make good memories.
Chicken with Sun Dried Tomatoes, Artichokes, Mushrooms and More
Mediterranean Diet, check. Mediterranean flavor, check. First place winner in our recipe contest, check. An original twist...in this case honey and orange juice...check.
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 3 tbsp Bella Sun Luci Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper to season each side of the chicken
- 4 tbsp butter
- ¼ tsp crushed garlic
- ½ cup chopped green onion
- 2 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
- ¼ cup Marsala wine
- Juice of half a lemon
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp crushed red pepper
- 3 tbsp capers
- 1 14 oz can water packed artichoke heart quarters, drained
- 1 8.5 oz jar Bella Sun Luci Sun dried Tomato Halves, cut in half
- ¾ cup low sodium chicken broth
- ¾ cup orange juice
- 2 tbsp. honey
- ¼ cup minced fresh basil
- ¼ cup minced fresh Italian parsley
- 3 tbsp Bella Sun Luci Sun dried Tomato Pesto Sauce
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet.
- Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Put the chicken in the hot oil and brown on both sides. (Approx. 3-5 minutes per side.)
- After the chicken is golden brown on both sides, remove to a platter.
- Lower the heat, and add the butter, green onions, and garlic. Cook for about 30 seconds, loosening any brown bits.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until soft.
- Add the Marsala wine and lemon juice scrapping the bottom of the skillet.
- Add the salt, and red pepper flakes.
- Put the chicken back into the skillet along with the artichoke hearts, capers, and Bella Sun Luci Sun dried Tomato Halves, cut in half.
- Combine the chicken broth, orange juice and honey. Add this liquid to the skillet, and simmer for about 15 minutes, until the liquid reduces by half.
- Blend in the Bella Sun Luci Sun Dried Tomato Pesto Sauce.
- Add the basil and parsley on top.