Sun Dried Tomato and Caramelized Onion Gratin
Congratulations to chef Suellen Calhoun who amazed us with her delicious tomato and caramelized onion gratin. Buttery and sweet flavors are present throughout this entire dish that pair wonderfully with the creamy cheeses that make a smooth consistency. Gratins are best served in a shallow dish in the original fashion originating in Europe. Serve as an all out vegetarian dish, individual side dishes or with some toasted ciabatta bread for an amazing appetizer.
Total Cook Time: 45 minutes
Gluten Free Vegetarian
Bella Products Used:
- 1 8.5oz jar Bella Sun Luci Julienne Cut Sun Dried Tomatoes in Olive Oil with Italian Herbs, drained, reserving oil
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp good quality balsamic vinegar
- 1 c whipping cream
- 4 large eggs
- 1 c ricotta cheese
- ½ c grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Butter for coating
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Coarsely chop sun dried tomatoes. Add 3 tablespoons of reserved oil to a large skillet and heat over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic; cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add balsamic vinegar and cook until onions are browned and caramelized, about 3- 5 minutes more. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk cream and eggs to blend. Whisk in cheeses, salt and pepper.
- Stir in tomatoes and onions. Preheat oven to 350 F
- Generously butter a 9 inch baking dish or 6-8 small ramekins
- Transfer mixture to prepared dish. Bake gratin until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 40-50 minutes for a 9 inch baking dish and 20-30 for small ramekins.
- Garnish with fresh parsley