Sun Dried Tomato & Mushroom Ragú over Pasta
A meld of a medley of mushrooms give this dish an umami flavor infused with the rich yet sweet flavor of sun dried tomatoes. Garnished with creamy Parmesan cheese and herbs it is seasoned to perfection. This dish comes together in under 30 minutes and will fill your entire kitchen with mouth watering aromas. A true comfort food great for a simple Sunday evening dinner.
Total Cook Time: 30 minutes
Bella Products Used:
- 1 8.5 oz Bella Sun Luci Julienne Cut Sun Dried Tomatoes in Olive Oil
- 4 tbsp olive oil reserved from jar, divided
- 4 oz fresh cremini mushrooms, de-stemmed and diced
- 4 oz fresh portabella mushrooms, de-stemmed and diced
- 4 oz fresh shiitake mushrooms, de-stemmed and diced
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp butter, divided
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 oz uncooked rigatoni, penne, or ziti pasta
- ¼ cup Bella Sun Luci Sun Dried Tomato Chipotle Topper Sauce
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 6 tbsp fresh Parmesan, grated and divided
- ⅓ cup minced fresh basil or parsley
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add pasta; cook according to package directions for al dente. Drain pasta, reserving 2 cups pasta water.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the reserved olive oil in a medium dutch oven or large skillet over medium-high heat until glossy. Add mushrooms in heated dish; season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- For 5 minutes cook the mushrooms stirring occasionally. Add only 1 tablespoon butter, then oregano and thyme to the dish, continue cooking until mushrooms are tender. Transfer to a plate. Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining reserved olive oil to pot. Add onion and garlic then cook, stirring often, until softened; set aside.
- Using an immersion blended or high power blender combine sun dried tomatoes, sun dried tomato chipotle topper sauce, 1 cup pasta water, heavy cream and ½ teaspoon salt. Blend until smooth. Add the combined mixture back to the pan and increase heat to high; bring to a boil then immediately reduce heat; add cooked mushrooms and simmer. Occasionally stir the mixture until it thickens, about 15 minutes.
- After the mixture has thickened add cooked pasta, 2 tablespoons butter, 1/2 cup pasta water, 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese and minced basil. Toss to coat.To reach desired sauce consistency add the remaining pasta water, in tablespoon increments tossing to coat after each addition.
- Divide pasta among shallow bowls and top with remaining parmesan.