Chicken Romesco in Onion Petals
Sweet with a zip of flavor from the roasted red peppers this romesco sauce adds a great amount of flavor atop of the stuffing and onion petal. Hints of garlic and a touch of spice from the cayenne pepper make this dish a winner. A vivid presentation of color from the red onions and the bright creamy orange sauce are seasoned with rich tomato flavor.
Total Cook Time: 45 minutes
Bella Product Used:
- 1 8.5 ounce jar Bella Sun Luci Sun Dried Tomato Julienne Cut in Olive Oil
- 2 red onions, medium sized*
- ¼ c water
- 1 12 ounce jar roasted red peppers in water, drained
- ½ c almond butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper hot sauce
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 3 green onions, sliced greens and whites
- ½ c sliced almonds
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
*The red onions that will make the best presentation are about the size of a baseball and have a pointed top.
- Empty the contents of the jar of sun dried tomatoes into a fine mesh strainer placed over a bowl. Press the tomatoes with a spoon to remove all the oil. Set the oil aside and dice the tomatoes.
- Heat a large cast iron or heavy bottom skillet to medium high heat. Slice the onions in half through the root end to the pointed tip. Cut ¼-inch off the root end of each half. Remove the outer papery skin of each half. With the tip of a knife, remove the center two layers of the onion halves and discard, leaving 6 or 7 layers of onion. Brush the cut sides of each onion half with a little of reserved oil and place cut side down in the skillet. Pour water into the skillet and cover with a lid. Cook for about 8 minutes, checking frequently until onion petals are fork-tender but not mushy. Remove from skillet and let cool to room temperature.
- Add 2 tablespoons of reserved oil, ½ cup diced tomatoes, red bell peppers, almond butter, garlic; sherry vinegar, hot sauce, and smoked paprika to a blender. Blend in a blender until smooth then set aside.
- Heat skillet to medium high heat. Dice the chicken into ¼-inch pieces. Add 2 tablespoons reserved oil and chicken. Cook for about 3 minutes, until chicken bits are browned and cooked through. Add remaining tomatoes and cook for another minute or two until most of liquid has evaporated. Turn off heat and stir in green onions, almonds and pepper.
- To assemble, spread ½ cup of chicken mixture on 4 serving plates and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of sauce from blender. Spread each onion petal with 1 tablespoon of sauce from blender and place on serving plates. Spoon remaining chicken mixture into onion petals. Serve immediately.