Italian Onion Rings with Sun Dried Tomato Aioli
Crunchy with a soft onion center these onion rings are paired with a creamy sun dried tomato aloli. A true indulgence that can be easily prepared in your own kitchen. The crisp outer layer is achieved by making a wet batter by using a heavy amount of buttermilk. Golden brown and crispy the snack is best served warm as a appetizer or side.
Total Cook Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 4 as a side
Bella Products Used:
Sun Dried Tomato Aioli
- ½ c Bella Sun Luci Sun Dried Tomato Chipotle
- ½ c Mayonaise
Italian Onion Rings
- 2 large sweet onions
- 2 c all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 3 c buttermilk
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 c breadcrumbs
- Olive oil for deep frying
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Add Chipotle Sauce and Mayonaise to small bowl and mix well until combined. Set aside.
- Peel onions and cut into thick rings. Reserve smaller onion rounds for another dish.
- Preheat pan with at least 4 inches of olive oil to 365 degrees
- In a medium sized bowl mix flour and salt and pepper. Add buttermilk to the flour mixture and mix well.
- In a separate bowl combine Italian seasoning and bread crumbs.
- Dip one onion ring into the flour mixture and then dredge into the Italian breadcrumbs.
- Carefully add coated rings to hot oil for 2-3 minutes on both sides.
- Remove from pan and let excess oil drain off on a paper towel or wire rack.
- Garnish with fresh chopped barely and serve warm.