Turkey Polpette (Meatballs) with Mushroom-Bell Pepper-Sun Dried Tomato Sauce
These tender meatballs and their sauce taste as good as they look. They are the definition of luscious. Great by themselves as an appetizer, or toss them with just cooked pasta. I've also crushed them and baked them into lasagna. Of course you can use ground beef, or ground anything, in place of the turkey, but this recipe works so well I recommend you follow it to a T. Oh, try these in a meatball sub! You can thank me later.
Total Cook Time: 30 minutes
Bella Products Used:
Ingredients for the Meatballs
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 tbsp Bella Sun Luci sun dried tomato halves with extra virgin olive oil, oil drained and set aside, chopped fine
- 1 ounce breadcrumbs (Italian or panko)
- 1 egg
- 1 ounce heavy cream
- 2 oz grated parmesan
- ⅛ tsp chile flakes (optional)
- 1 tsp rough chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
- 1 tsp fresh (or dry) thyme (or oregano)
- Salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp Bella Sun Luci extra virgin olive oil
Ingredients for the sauce
- 2 tbsp Bella Sun Luci extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup thick-sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup roasted red bell peppers, half in small pieces, half in large pieces
- ½ cup Bella Sun Luci sun dried tomato halves in extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp rough chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
- ¼ tsp fresh (or dry) thyme (or oregano)
- Salt & fresh cracked black pepper to taste
Directions for the meatballs
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees.
- Beat the egg, stir in the cream, add the turkey then add the rest of the ingredients, except the olive oil.
- Mix very well then tightly form 1 – 1½ inch round-ish polpette.
- Place on a parchment paper-lined heavy sheet pan, brush/drizzle with the olive oil and bake for 8-10 minutes. Remove the pan from oven onto a rack and let rest about 5 minutes.
Directions for the sauce and finishing the dish
- In a large sauté pan on a medium-high flame, heat the oil, cook the garlic until it starts to become yellow, add the mushrooms, turn the fire to medium, cook 1-2 minutes, or until the mushrooms are soft , add the rest of the ingredients and cook 1-2 more minutes.
- Add the meatballs to the pan and heat together.Garnish with sprigs of fresh herbs.