Italian Stuffed Eggplant
This recipe is a play on many of the worlds' cultures' stuffed bell peppers. Ground meat, turkey in this case which can be substituted for a meat of your choice, plus rice, Bella Sun Luci sun dried tomato pesto and additional sun dried tomatoes make the base of the luscious filling. Classic comfort cuisine with a modern sensibility is what I taste in this dish.
- 4 medium eggplants
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ½ lb. ground turkey, or your favorite ground meat
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 (8.5-oz). package Bella Sun Luci Sun Dried Tomatoes Julienne Cut, Drained
- 1 (8.5-oz) package Bella Sun Luci Sun Dried Tomato Pesto
- Olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Cut eggplant in half lengthwise and scrape out the pulp.
- Salt inside of eggplant cases.
- Combine chopped onion, garlic, ground turkey, salt, pepper, and fresh basil. Saute until browned; drain excess liquid.
- Remove from heat. Add in cooked rice, Bella Sun Luci Sun Dried Tomatoes Julienne-cut, and Bella Sun Luci Sun Dried Tomato Pesto.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Arrange eggplant cases in a shallow baking dish coated with olive oil.
- Spoon in mixture and top with fresh parsley.
- Bake uncovered for 25 minutes or until thoroughly heated.