Pork Chop Romano with Tomato Walnut Pesto
Imagine if you will, a bacon-potato-garlic custard on top of a pork chop, all of that topped with a walnut, chandler walnuts from our trees by the way, and bella sun luci sun dried tomato and parsley pesto-not pesto. Really you just chop up the walnuts, sun dried tomatoes and parsley by hand. Velvety custard with bacon, potatoes and heavy cream...luscious sun dried tomatoes, crunchy walnuts, sharp cheese, parsley that cuts through it all with green freshness. This dish is a kaleidoscopic culinary adventure.
- 4 bone-in rib pork chops
- 1 large garlic clove
- ½ cup Bella Sun Luci Sun-Dried Tomatoes in Olive Oil with Herbs, Julienne drained
- 3 tbsp olive oil from Bella Sun Luci Sun Dried Toamtoes jar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup grated Romano cheese
- ½ cup instant mashed potato flakes
- 2 thick cut strips apple wood smoked bacon, cooked and chopped
- ½ cup walnut halves, toasted
- 2 handfuls fresh parsley, plus additional for garnish
- 1 tbsp butter cut into 4 pats
- 1 lemon
- salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- Remove chops from the refrigerator 20 minutes before cooking.
- Set oven to a medium broil with a rack hung one above center.
- Pat chops dry with paper toweling.
- Cut the garlic clove in half lengthwise. Rub all over the cut sides of the chops including the bones. Season with salt and pepper. Brush the chops with some of the oil from the jar of Bella Sun Luci sun dried tomatoes.
- Heat a heavy oven-safe 12" skillet over a medium high heat. Fry the chops until interiors reach 145 degrees; approximately 4 minutes per side depending on thickness.
- In the meantime, in a bowl beat the eggs and cream. Beat in the cheese and ½ teaspoon ground black pepper. Beat in potato flakes. Add bacon. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine finely chopped tomatoes, walnuts, parsley, ¼ teaspoon salt and remaining oil.
- Spread the potato mixture on the chops. Scatter the tomato pesto. Top with pats of butter. Place in oven and broil for 4 minutes or until the potato mixture puffs and the pesto is lightly crisp.
- Squeeze lemon juice over each chop and garnish with additional chopped parsley if desired.